INTROVERT ≠ Shy + Quiet + Anti-Social

Are you an introvert?
Are you a shy guy/girl?

How much do you understand about introversion?



Definition of Introversion

"introvert definition" | Google Search
Google Search: "introvert definition"

Ask Google about the definition of "introvert", you'll get the result that says:
"a shy, reticent person; a person predominantly concerned with their own thoughts and feelings rather than with external things."



The Merriam-Webster Dictionary explains introvert as:
a shy person : a quiet person who does not find it easy to talk to other people.

Being an introvert myself, I would like to DENY these false explanations and misunderstanding about introversion! On one hand, this will cause public's misunderstanding towards introverts. On the other hand, introverts, who are not yet understand themselves well, might have thought that they are really "shy or quiet".


Who Exactly Are Introverts?

Introverts, according to Myers–Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI), say the following statements:

  • I like getting my energy from dealing with the ideas, pictures, memories, and reactions that are inside my head, in my inner world;
  • I often prefer doing things alone or with one or two people I feel comfortable with;
  • I take time to reflect so that I have a clear idea of what I'll be doing when I decide to act;
  • Ideas are almost solid things for me;
  • Sometimes I like the idea of something better than the real thing;
  • Others...


Belle Beth Cooper, in his article Are You An Introvert Or An Extrovert?, provides a clear elaboration about introversion versus extroversion:
Introverts (or those of us with introverted tendencies) tend to recharge by spending time alone. They lose energy from being around people for long periods of time, particularly large crowds. 
Extroverts, on the other hand, gain energy from other people. Extroverts actually find their energy is sapped when they spend too much time alone. They recharge by being social.


Support Introversion!

Be yourself!

I urge all introverts to embrace their true personality and understand that it is not bad or shameful to be an introvert.

I am grateful to be part of Introvert, Dear, a Facebook group (which also has a blog) for introverts. The members are supportive among each other. Reading the posts and comments make you feel good.

The founder of Introvert, Dear blog, Jennifer Granneman, has initiated an online petition asking Google to change its definition of introversion on Google Search. There are 504 signatures, so far. So, if you wish to support this campaign, you are welcomed to place your petition.

An Open Letter To Google From Introverts
Redefine "introvert" in online dictionaries.